Art Howard - North Carolina
Art considers himself fortunate to reside in the same small community where he grew up. His hometown of Eastern Lincoln Co. N.C. provided him with the opportunity to work on his uncle’s beef cattle farm.
Art’s passion for the outdoors, agriculture, and forestry grew steadily through his middle and high school years, ultimately leading him to pursue an Associate in Applied Science degree from the Agriculture Institute at North Carolina State University.
Upon graduation, Art went on to work for Crescent Communities, formally Crescent Land and Timber. His time with Crescent began as a Forest Technician. Working closely with the land, he was involved with various forest and land management practices and operations, eventually assuming responsibility for recreation land leases and land sales.
He ended his 31-year career as an Assistant Division Land Manager. During this time, Art developed an interest in Arboriculture. This led to a small-scale tree care service that he still operates—when time allows.
Art’s combined experience, along with his appreciation for the land and those who work with it, provided him an opportunity at Associated Hardwoods, Inc. to serve as a Log Buyer for the western piedmont region of North Carolina.
Education: Associates in Applied Agriculture, Agriculture Institute, North Carolina State University (1985)
- North Carolina Real Estate Broker
- North Carolina Pesticide Applicator
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist
- Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity
- International Society of Arboriculture
- Carolina Loggers Association
- Invasive Species
- Management Plans
- Clear Cut
- Timber Thinning
- Access Roads
- Site Prep
- Wildlife Food plots
- Waterfowl impoundments
- Forest Mulching
- Boundary Line maintenance
- Timber inventory
- Timberland conversion to agriculture
He is married to his wife Janet for 31 years with one grown daughter Alix. Art enjoys spending time with his family and friends. He is also a lifelong member of Hills Chapel UMC, where he performs with a small musical group.
Alan Abernathy - South Carolina
Alan is a native of South Carolina and has worked as a Forester in the coastal plain and piedmont areas of both Carolinas for 32 years. He worked for Boise Cascade for 29 years before coming to Associated Hardwoods and currently works as a Wood Procurement and Land Management Forester.
Education: Alan holds three degrees in Natural Resource Management:
- Associates degree from Horry Georgetown in Forestry / Wildlife Management.
- Double Bachelor’s degree from Columbia Southern University in Alabama in Environmental Management in Natural Resources and Fire Science / Fire Ecology.
- S.C. Registered Forester
- S.C. Pesticide Applicator
- S.C. Prescribed Fire Manager
- SFI Top Logger
- ISA Certified Arborist